Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Countdown to Haiti...

Well hello everyone, I wanted to tell everyone why I'm traveling to Haiti and why Haiti is so dear to my heart.  I was born in Florida to Haitian parents, and I was raised in Haiti as a child, my first language was even creole, Haiti's native language.  When the earthquake January 12, 2010,  happened the first thing I did  was make sure my family, who still reside in Haiti today were okay. This earthquake was bigger than life, so I wanted to give back my time and efforts to help out Haiti. Last spring I started a fundraiser in Oregon where I played college football.  We collected over 24,000 pounds of donations in the form of clothing, medical supplies and food!  I traveled to Haiti to deliver the goods, to visit my family and to volunteer my time. 
When I got invited to join the CFL trip to Haiti, I was ecstatic.  I later found out that none of the other players' have ever been to Haiti. I'm looking forward to showing them Haiti, and to help them get their feet wet. This trip is creating awareness of the devastation, and I couldn't ask for more.  Hopefully the guys will continue to help or even create their own foundations supporting Haiti.
On this specific trip, we are volunteering with Oxfam, volunteering at the tent sites and we are traveling to a little village in the mountain's that hasn't gotten much relief.  We will be staying with my family at their home in Port au Prince. 
No one can imagine the pain and suffering Haitian's are enduring, still today. If I could ask for anything, it would be that us as American's and Canadian's would continue to be thankful everyday for what we have, the education and healthcare that we have access to,  and even something as simple as clean water. 


No comments:

Post a Comment